Saturday, February 4, 2012

Who Cares What Other People Think?

A HUGE overarching reason, I started this blog was because I needed to keep a record of my life. I'm used to keeping a paper journal. I have kept one most all my life. Several years ago my diligence for regularly updating my journal was lacking. Blogs were becoming the new thing, so I jumped on the bandwagon, really...just to keep a consistent record of my life's journey.

This blog, like my journal is for transparency, vulnerability and honesty. So here goes...

Growing up, I used to care a lot about what people thought of me and how they viewed me. It's strange because my calling requires mass amounts of people to judge me. I'm a writer, a television host, journalist, speaker, singer and actress. None the less, I struggled with people's perceptions of me for most of my life. Similar to most people, I want to be liked and accepted. In my case, it was to a fault. I always found myself the constant chameleon - editing myself to sound acceptable, conforming to fit in and creating false identities to not be judged. In the midst, I was silencing and covering my own voice and identity. Sometimes forgetting my own desires and wants in life.

It wasn't until I founded The King's Daughters, Inc. that I really felt like I had found my voice. Abstinence advocacy is not popular across the majority, but I strongly believe in it's mission and power and am committed to seeing it's message broadcast across the world.

Recently, I felt that past angst of discontent and insecurity rear it's ugly head. Since conquering or overcoming this desire to be "liked" and "accepted," initially I didn't know what it was. Until I noticed myself editing my phrases to sound acceptable. These attacks that creep up, saying, "Will they like me? I wonder what they think of me. Did I say something wrong?" etc usually happen the closer I am to my goals. The bigger steps I take towards fulfilling my calling the stronger the questions and accusations of whether I'm good enough, worthy and what will others think begin to rise up.

Overcoming this enemy and yes I call it an enemy is and will always be one of my greatest fights because its been one my greatest struggles. The learning I have gathered over the years is that as long as you care what other people think more than what God thinks or you think, you'll always remain middle of the road. You will always reshape yourself to fit other people's molds. You won't ever discover you're true identity in Christ as the unique person you were called to be.

No two people, not even twins are exactly alike. There is a mark of uniqueness on everyone. I've also learned that not everyone is going to like you. "Ah ha!" lol. So trying to fit it, trying to squeeze yourself into everyone else's mold is a waste of you talents and gifts. There are some people who will read this and criticize me, saying, "I never knew you were so insecure." "How weak." "She's pathetic." As if they don't have struggles of their own. Whatever... Who cares what other people think?

The greatest level of authenticity is what has caused the greatest amount of success in people's lives. People don't want your representative. They want you, the real you. No doubt, I am a poised, well spoken, confident woman. But I am also, quirky, a little wacky and sometimes inappropriate.

Maybe, I'm the only one who's gone through this and fought this fight. Regardless, this is my place to be transparent. I hope I've helped another, but truthfully, this is to help me.

Who cares what other people think? *clears throat* That includes you. =)

Love,
Kris
@kristenlpopetv

2 comments:

Tashi said...

This is a testimony of strength, courage, and wisdom! Love it!

BossLady said...

Kris, thank you for writing this. This is my story!! You are such an inspiration and I love you soooo much, you have no idea! I was truly inspired by your words and I saw myself in every line!! I am looking forward to following this journey with you, keep blogging and being transparent. Your freedom will liberate many!! Love Ya!