Friday, February 10, 2012

Grateful because I get to do this...

Yesterday was one of the most fulfilling days of the year and in my professional career as it stands now. The last two years has been spent managing and balancing a freelance career with a day job. It hasn't been easy and sometimes down right discouraging, but I continue to forge through the obstacles and press forward. None of which I could have done without my Heavenly Father and my husband.

I woke up feeling like I hadn't slept in days - to which my husband aptly replies, "You haven't." I began praying to God to replace my weakness with His strength. From that prayer on into the rest of the day, I began receiving inspirational emails, one after the other. Normally, I receive one or two a day from sites I'm subscribed to, but these were personal, from people I actually know. The confirmation of strength replacement and a great day in store was certain. Once I got to work, I prepared for my first meeting of the day with the Executive Editor of a major business magazine.  During the preparation, I felt heavy fatigue looming, but I continued to press through. All the while receiving encouraging emails as if people knew I was feeling physically empty...God knew and He was answering mightily. 
The meeting was great. I had a similar meeting with this same magazine years prior, but I didn't have the same leverage.  This time the meeting went differently and opportunities were on the table. I left feeling empowered and grateful that "I get to" do what I love.

My second meeting wasn't by coincidence, but rather my sweet tooth craving. As I was walking back to my office, I stopped inside a nearby Starbucks. To my surprise, a videographer that I've been wanting to work with was there. I politely interrupted her meeting to express my desire.  She was totally open and the rest will be documented history. After that encounter, I'm sure I skipped back to work. God was lining things up step by step, piece by piece.

Shortly thereafter, I readied myself for my next meeting, a phone interview with a boutique financial firm. The story of how I met the owners was totally a God open door. From the on-set of our meeting, they were eager for me to tell their story. Our first foundational conversation today for the story was awesome.  When I hung up the phone, I got my second wind. All of the fatigue from earlier had subsided and I was in full swing - shaken and movin.'

By the time I was leaving work, I was in full reflection of the day. What was happening??

As the fog cleared my mind and I put the puzzle of my day together, I began envisioning myself for the first as a full time freelancer. I left out one other key detail. Earlier in the day I received an email from a new connection and fellow NABJ member who is quickly making her mark as an outstanding writer having written for some of my favorite magazines. Her email was breaking down the ways to be a successful freelancer.
I see you God!

I felt like I was hitting a critical milestone in my journey to full time television and broadcast. I'm grateful that even as I build a foundation - I feel like everyday is my first day at this all over again. I approach it with  freshness and excitement, because it's what I love doing and the stories are different. No story is quite the same and all have to be told with tailoring to the specific subject. I feel God's glory rising in and on me.

I get to do this...stay tuned.

Love,
Kris
@kristenlpopetv



No comments: