Friday, February 24, 2012

Music News: Conversation with Singer and Songwriter ~ KJ Rose

When I begin to question the passion and soul of Rhythm and Blues today, it's people like KJ Rose that encourage me to believe. 

As the world speeds up to keep pace with the changing trends and advancements in technology, passion seems to be placed on the back burner. Not for KJ Rose. My purpose for sitting down with her was to get a glimpse of her musical career journey, but she gave me so much more. She gave me herself, the soulful person. It's with this soul she sang on stages around the world and recorded her own full length independent album, "All Heart, No Regrets." The title alone lets you know she's giving it her all. 

We found that we had much in common, which made our chat feel more like old girlfriends catching up. Join our conversation below!
  

Who is KJ Rose?
I am a blessed Chicago girl who has found purpose in performing and songwriting.  I'm also one who believes in the Sydney Harris quote "Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable." ~ as this is my benchmark for living.

How did you get your start singing?
My singing career began at my college Alma mater FAMU - I was fortunate to have extremely supportive friends and sorors (Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.) that rallied behind my voice although I found myself fighting them most times!  They encouraged me to sing for music publishing executive 'Big Jon' who then put me in touch with my management team First Artist ( Dave Nelson and Irskine Isaac) - they provided the tools needed to hone my skills and it wasn't long before I had the opportunity to record on the albums of Heavy D (Big Daddy) and the Notorious B.I.G. (Playa Hata) and a host of others.

I further attribute my touring opportunities to Recording Artist Kelly Price who I had a chance encounter with on one Friday evening and a week later she asked me to go on the Puff Daddy World Tour (P. Diddy).  I knew that my steps were surely being ordered and I had to develop an unwavering sense of faith to finish what she started. 

What inspires you?
I'm inspired by passion that is unapologetic, deliberate, relentless, and fearless - Delusional Optimism - People that Champion themselves - Realized Potential - and Love that has the ability to defy time also inspires me!  Ok, I think I'm done!:)

What are you most proud of accomplishing on this journey?
I am most proud to finally understand what it means to Champion one's self while relying less on the validation of others - this is what lead me to create my debut album "All Heart, No Regrets" as an independent artist.  This breakthrough has also allowed me to infiltrate areas that were otherwise reserved for artists with major record deals.  I'm proud that my experiences have given me a wealth of knowledge and sensibilities that you can not find in any book - there is no getting around the hard work nor the failures that are necessary to sustain in the business of performing.  And lastly, I'm proud to have met new people while on this journey and perhaps inspiring them to pursue their true life as well.

Where do you envision yourself in the future as a singer?
I pray that I can continue to lend my voice to platforms that are empowering, impactful, and transformative. I also believe that singing has been the catalyst for my writing and I hope to pen songs/ stories for other vocalists, films, commercials, television, etc.  I've realized that my purpose is bigger than myself and directly aligns with the assignment of being a blessing to others.

Check back regularly from some extraordinary artists sharing their gifts with the world!

Love - 
Kristen

No comments: