Monday, April 14, 2008

Travelling - Musically - Spiritually

Living in NYC where music, fashion, entertainment = the arts is woven into the fabric of the culture (over and understated) its hard not to get caught up in the overall hype. And if you are in the hype, sometimes we get frustrated by the saturation of it all. However, there's nothing I love more during the week than a genuine praise and worship session at church and an authentic underground showcase of up and coming talented artists.

Another stand out passion of mine it travelling. I would spend my last dime to travel to a place I adore for a repeat love affair or a first introduction. Last month I journeyed to Brazil. It was such a serene, unbelievably beautiful corner of the earth. God has carved it to perfection. The water, the mountains, the sun, and the people are all enchanting. The music resonates in your spirit like a heartbeat. It's sexy, pure, and formula free. By the end of the trip, my favorite Brazilian artist was Bebel Gilberto. Check her out!

Much of the trip was spiritual. Inspiration for music, and conceptualization for how big God really is invaded my conscious day and night.
I'm a big dreamer; at night and during the day. Being able to see God's hand at work in other parts of the world gives birth to many of those dreams locked on the inside.
Now back to living in NYC...at times I feel suffocated because I am a southerner at heart. My southern soul often longs for trees, grass, room to walk, a moment to catch my breath, quiet nights and polite pedestrians. But I would be remiss not to give NYC it's props for how good it's been to me in the last soon to be three years. NY has taught me to pray harder, enjoy the little things longer, kiss faster and write shorter...songs that is.
I just got back from ATL last night. Every time I visit the A, I'm reminded that HOME is where the HEART is. I never want to leave the rolling hills, glorious green trees, clear skies, and polite people. The serenity and beauty of Georgia is a song all by itself. My spirit rejoices every time I touch down in the frantically busy Hartsfield Airport. I had a conversation with my boyfriend (music) that he has a max of two years to move me down there or I may have to leave him behind when I relocate to ATL and get a new boyfriend. :-) So for now...the show must go on.
This week, NABFEME is hosting their monthly "Women Who Jam," showcase at the Sugar Bar and Eric Roberson is getting it in at SOB's for the Sol Village. After Bible Study, I plan to drop by one or both and get a dose of some newness.
Have a great week whereever the music takes you!
Check out the video of my favorite track ("Paris, Tokyo" - so fitting for this entry. I visited Paris last year, and I'm headed to Tokyo in 2009) on the Lupe Fiasco album, "The Cool." The album is a must-have. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rkH-cK8yPA
Verse for the day: Psalm 66:12
Seek first the Kingdom of Righteousness
Musically yours,
#1CHISista!
Performance dates coming soon....

1 comment:

rhwj said...

wow. i feel you on so many different levels. namely the connection between nyc, the place we live, and atl, the place we call home. it a weird state of mind, but you seem to be handling it well. hope all is going well with you.