Friday, May 23, 2008

RISING UP: Onward and Upward!

Onward and upward/forward and in my own words/thats the direction for the moment/the movement rather/the light at the end of the tunnel/propels me to keep moving/Different degrees of momentum/create a sensation/to press toward/what lies ahead/beneath instead/I reach for the past/but only to remember where I've been/to grab hold of where I'm going/Now it all makes sense/Faith covered by grace/Yesterday was preparation for today/and today is nurishment for tomorrow/tomorrow is today's hope/All wrapped up in one.......Forward moving movement.

Just had to get that off and out. After two weekends of travel, I find myself able to better appreciate New York City more than before I left. That has always been apart of my love affair with New York...coming back after I leave to go somewhere else to reenter this city's greatness.

Miami was mini paradise. It's always sooo hard to leave because my family loves on me so hard. Toya couldn't have picked a better birthday destination. We had the BEST time. South Beach never dissappoints except during Memorial Day weekend when it's total pandemonium (for those of you who still make the trek to Miami for Memorial Day weekend, do your thing...lol). We stayed in a FAB hotel on Collins and did the regs: Wet Willies, the News Cafe and a club called the Fifth (all while wearing the STRONGER glasses!) FUN! FUN! FUN! We tried a new restaurant every night for three nights we inhabited South Florida's beauty, tanned on the beach, drank margharitas by the pool and lived life in abundance to the full, until it OVERFLOWED! I took the 5AM flight on Monday back to NY and then went straight to work. What a weekend :-) It totally served its purpose....Loungin with my loved ones.

St. Louis...hmmm. This requires a slight pause.

Now I can begin again. I spent the Memorial Day weekend in St. Louis. I can feel the puzzled look on your face. "St. Louis? Why St. Louis?"
Again, May was all about seeing and spending time with my loved ones. So the trip to St. Louis was appropriate, since I was visiting another Bestest.
But man!!! Talk about Country livin. When I got off the plane and walked to the baggage claim area, I felt like I had stepped back into time. Immediately, I felt out of place. The weekend was complete after at a house BBQ, someone I had just met called me "High Sadity." Wow! I hadn't heard that one in a long time.
Despite that minor detail, the trip was good. On a positive STL note, African Americans in their late 20 and early 30's are making great entreprenurial moves down there: car washes, event planning business and restaurants that are making waves in the Lou.' That's always encouraging to see, especially since I'm on the same path to ownership. I hope you enjoyed the long weekend and got a chance to thank a solider for protecting our country.

Speaking of ownership, The King’s Daughters™ is coming along with bright lights. The Lord is opening doors left and right in many different arenas. Graphic designers, potential investors, mentors, other business owners and opportunities are meeting my partner Candice and I the threshold of this divine call to empower the next generation of women. It's a very exciting time, especially whenever you can make your vision a reality.

My biggest vision and the core reason for this outlet is MUSIC. I start a new 8 week voice training class with a new vocal coach next week. She is endorsed by the SongHall of Fame (an org. that I am a member of) as one of the best, and her motto is to help you sing like you speak. Basically, to sing like you breathe with complete fluidity and flow. I'm so excited to take my gift to the next level and share it with you :-)
On the music note please, please, please if you haven't already...check out the Roots album. The single "Rising Up" is total fire along with the video and so is the rest of the album as to be expected. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5HGPD3rWqA.
It's been real downloading with you...
I anticipate that the next time we sing together, I'll be a year older. June 1st is fast approaching and it's carrying a number 20-something with it :-0 I'm super excited for that too!
Verse for the day: Romans 4:17 - Our words have POWER.
In Love,
K.L.

No comments: