Tuesday, June 30, 2009

The Power of Relationships (A peek into my future)

I recently finished reading the Tipping Point, a great book that I highly recommend (thanks Diondra). The beginning of the book talks about “The Law of the Few: Connectors, Mavens and Salesman.” I—am a Connecter. Very naturally…that’s me. It felt so good to read this book and ingest examples provided by Malcolm Gladwell that were completely real world to me. It all made sense; why I do some of the things I do, and say some of the things I say.

Anyway, getting to the point of connections. I had to attend a friend’s wedding this past weekend here in NYC. The wedding, the bride, the day and all who attended were beautiful. J I waited until the last minute to decide on an outfit to wear just to find that I didn’t really have anything to wear. I know…I know…the woman obsessed with a dress didn’t have anything to wear. Well, I didn’t. Not to a garden wedding at 7pm.

My sister sent me a cute summer dress for my birthday that didn’t fit me quite right from my second favorite retailer, BCBG Max Azria. I went to exchange the dress, hoping to find something to wear to the wedding. Nothing. I was down to four days left and not much more time to shop. Plus, I was probably still going to need shoes!

I prayed, God, what to do? I need a dress and my budget doesn’t really allow for much right now. Without delay, I got my divine answer. “Ask the owners at Bebenoir (my favorite boutique) to loan you a dress.” Loan me a dress? That directive was way beyond me. Simply, because I rarely ask to borrow anything. But I was being told to ask a retailer to borrow a dress.

I called Fatimah, the co-owner of Bebenoir. “I need a huge favor. I have a wedding to attend on Saturday (it’s Wednesday) and I don’t have the budget for a new dress. Do you all loan out your dresses?” She said, “No, not really. Let me ask Ibrahima (the other owner) what he thinks. In the meantime, come by the shop and I will pull a couple of dress for you to try on.”

Hopeful, I rush uptown to Bebenoir and try on about six dress. To my chagrin, none of them work. “Did you try on this one?” Fatimah hands me a dress. I passed right over it without giving it a second look. I try the dress on. It’s perfect! We both share the joy of the moment. Without giving it a second thought, Fatimah wraps up the dress, puts in a bag, and doesn’t require me to sign anything. I assured her that I would bring the dress back the following week. Wow…

I’m ecstatic! The power of relationships had hit me rock hard. I had been a faithful and loyal customer of Bebenoir since they opened late 2007. Also, in my Connector way, I always found a way to plug the store to a curious lady inquiring about my bracelet or purse that came from the gem of a boutique. I had been sowing seeds into their establishment all along and was now reaping the benefits!

The next day, I received a text message from Fatimah. “Ibrahima wants you to keep the dress. Congrats!” WHAT!! My favorite boutique took a chance and not only loaned their first dress but was giving it to me???

All this because of an established relationship and following the leading of the Holy Spirit…

It also confirmed that this may have been my first complimentary dressing, but it certainly will not be my last. Don’t underestimate the power of relationships!

Blessed! (to be a blessing J)

Billionairess
Verse for the Day: Genesis 12:2

1 comment:

leandra said...

wow! that's awesome. prayer works!